Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Wise Man and the Foolish Man

Wow wasn't conference the best thing in the entire world?! I am seriously putting my most favorite talks on a flash drive and listening to them instead of music no big deal. I loved every single one. But my most favorite talks were Elder Holland's, Elder Uchtdorf's and Elder Hallstroms. I love the power that comes from their testimonies and the strength that they bring. The true discipleship they have. I want to be just like them! 

This week I was studying and I came across the story of the wise man and the foolish man in the bible. I got so excited because I used to love that story and love the song in primary. This time as I read over it I realized something that I never realized before. I used to always thing that the wise man was someone that was in the church and the foolish man was someone that was going about doing wicked things relying on the merits of others and trying to make his own in life. Then I came across verse 24 and 26 in Matthew chapter 7 and something clicked.
"Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock...
"And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand"

The difference between the wise man and the foolish man isn't that one is a member of the church and one is going around declaring that the is not God, but rather the difference is that the wise man hears the words of the Lord and acts on them. He strives to become the person that Heavenly Father needs him to be rather than the foolish man who hears the words and doesn't do them. 

I thought about conference as I read that. How many of us (I have definitely guilty of this occasionally) listen to conference and say "Wow, wasn't conference, (or stake conference, or sunday school, or sacrament, or seminary, etc) just amazing?! Wasn't the spirit so strong? Then what do we do? Go back to the exact same way that we were before. In doing so we become the foolish man. That when the rains and the winds come, when life gets hard we fall and crumble. Not because we didn't know the truths. But because we didn't apply them to our lives. We didn't act on them. In doing so when the trials come we don't know how to stay strong because we never did as the prophets asked. We never changed who we were to become the person that could overcome that trial. 

I want to challenge all of you to do something about conference. Change. Become the people the prophets talk about. Strengthen your faith. Do what the Lord asks, so that when the rains and the winds come you can have your foundation on the rock. You can know for yourself that this is the true church and He will help you through your trials because you've experienced it for yourself. 

I love you all and hope you had an amazing conference weekend! Hope you have the best day! 

Love 
Sister Wade

FUN FACTS:
1.I learned how to hem this week and helped a member hem her husbands pants for service haha
2. I did stain glass last tueday for p-day i'm pretty sure you could call me a pro(;
3. We may have almost burnt down the apartment making pancakes. No big deal.
4. We got lost like 34 times with the map this week but hey we just know Las Cruces better now

5. We met some guys that told us to doubt everything and trust nothing. Then they told us that "I'm not real and he's not real and the car isn't real and the trees really aren't there. It is all just a figure of your imagination." *whoooo!* haha it was too funny! There are definitely some crazy people in Las Cruces

No comments:

Post a Comment